If you are a restaurant owner, this post is for you! Did you know that playing songs and music without obtaining a proper copyright license from the rights holder, specifically copyright societies, is not allowed?

Abrise Legal
2 min readJun 22, 2023

Let’s shed some light on the main four types of societies responsible for holding different. licenses for different use.

  1. Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL): They represent music labels and publishers. It is essential to obtain licenses from PPL for public performance and broadcasting of sound recordings.
  2. 2. Indian Performing Rights Society (IPRS): They represent music composers, lyricists, and publishers. Licenses from IPRS are required for public performance, broadcasting, and mechanical reproduction of musical works.
  3. 3. The Indian Society of Authors (ISA): They represent authors, writers, and literary works. Licenses from ISA are necessary for the public performance and reproduction of literary works, including books and articles.
  4. 4. The Indian Reprographic Rights Organization (IRRO): They represent authors and publishers of literary and artistic works. It is important to obtain licenses from IRRO for reproduction and photocopying of copyrighted materials, such as books and journals.

To ensure compliance and avoid legal consequences, make sure to obtain the necessary licenses from the respective copyright societies.

Stay on the safe side and get the legal advice you need to enjoy music responsibly at your restaurant! 🎶💼Let’s support creativity and respect intellectual property rights!



Abrise Legal

Yes, we’re lawyers. No, we aren’t stereotypical lawyers. Find us at www.abriselegal.com and follow us on www.instagram.com/abriselegal/